Climate Action and Feminist Movements
Climate change poses an existential threat to our world. Feminist approaches offer new ways of building effective, sustainable climate action. There is growing evidence of the link between increased gender equality and positive climate outcomes.
Women’s rights organizations have critical perspectives to bring to the negotiating table, yet women are underrepresented in climate negotiations at every level, from local communities to the global stage. Feminist activists are often at the forefront, pushing for action and investment to address climate change. Our future depends on ensuring that their voices are heard.
We work to bring a feminist analysis to climate justice discussions and to advocate for more and better resources for women climate activists. We are inspired by our grantee partners working on these issues and by other feminist climate funders, including Global Alliance for Green and Gender Action (GAGGA) and CLIMA Fund. We learn from and with feminist climate activists, in Canada and around the world.
- PUBLICATION – Supporting Women’s Organizations and Movements: A Strategic Approach to Climate Action – Equality Fund and Nobel Women’s Initiative (February 2020)
Endorsed by us
- BRIEF – Feminist Climate Finance Brief: Recommendations for Canada’s Climate Finance Pledge – WEDO (September 2020)
Recommended by us
- REPORT – Gender, Climate and Security: Sustaining Inclusive Peace on the Frontlines of Climate Change – United Nations Environment Program (June 2020)
- REPORT – Our Voices, Our Environment: The State of Funding for Women’s Environmental Action – Global Greengrants Fund, Prospera, and GAGGA (March 2018)
- WEBSITE – WEDO – Women’s Environment & Development Organization